I originally wanted to call my blog " Unexpected Item in the Bagging Area ". But to save everyone from carpel tunnel syndrome, I found something shorter to type.
I expected parenting to be easier than this. I thought I had all the answers. I read books with titles like"Postivie Discipline" and "How to Talk so your Kids will Listen". I went to all the PTA meetings, sobbed at clarinet recitals, made midnight runs to the 24 hour Walgreens for random science fair project supplies - and cheered at every last basket-ball game until I was hoarse.
But what is it that Socrates, or someone equally brilliant, said: "I now know that I know nothing"
Parenting teen-agers is like doing your groceries at Jewel. You only have 2 or 3 items. You think you will save time by going through the self-check-out lane. You scan and bag, scan and bag. The electronic lady tells you how much you owe so far. You are ready to pay and leave.
Then she starts going bonkers on you. "Unexpected item in the bagging area" she repeats in an urgent and aggravating tone.
And you're not going anywhere just yet.
1 comment:
I really think this one hit home.
Post a Comment