Wednesday, November 10, 2010

An Embarassing Truth

I have become rather attached to my newly adopted state of Illinois.
I even get it about the seasons. I do. We need all four of them. Not just gorgeous spring and summer like those wimpy West Coasters. The passing of time. The circle of life. The majesty of Nature. They all manifest themselves through the wind and rain of Autumn and the snowstorms and negative windchills of winter. I enjoy the introspection, increased family time and decline in hedonism at this time of year. Let those Floridians party on the beach. We, in Illinois like to look inward these next six months.

But it is the first week of November. And the temperature went up to seventy degrees yesterday. The gracious bounties of God. His tender mercies showering upon us instead of a hailstorm or an early snowfall.

Or maybe it's global warming.

But Chicagoans don't care. We do worry about climate change, obsess over our carbon footprint, and pray for the future of our grandchildren. But raking Autumn leaves is so much more bearable without seven layers of clothes and a ski mask on.

Could we in the Midwest just Save the Whale?

2 comments:

Nabeela said...

California does have "wet". Occurs sometime between December-March, but usually only for two weeks.

Fog can be very bad. They have Tule fog in the valley, which is extremely scary.

Snow in the mountains.

And along the coast, well, occasionally the birdbath freezes over.

Remember what Mark Twain said, "The coldest winter I ever spent was the summer in San Francisco."

And you forgot the Midwestern 5th season, "Mud".

Salaeha said...

Saving the whales to make-up for the benefits of global warming in Chicago...love it!