Saturday, February 26, 2011

Hello Yellow Brick House

(I am posting two pieces of writing from some guest authors. My 10 year old niece lives in England and her elementary school had a writer's workshop evening where parents and children were both encouraged to describe the same photograph. The first piece was written by my brother and the second by my niece and one of her close friends. The photograph was apparently of a 'crooked old house')

1)"Imposing, unsettling; but at the same time endearing: this grand structure stood majestically at the top of the winding hill.
Fearful, the small child began to approach a large door, despite a chilling breeze.
Largely untouched for the beat for over a century, Yellow Brick House was an important home. It had once housed, although briefly, members of the Royal Family.
Eerily bats began to circle, although the local climate had been wildly discouraged for such fearless intimidating creatures of the sky.
Lightning struck across the arched, metallic entrance, despite a clear, blue sky. Noise was an uninvited guest to the owner of Yellow Brick House. Immediately followed a deafening silence awakening each inhabitant of the infinite garden.
Infinity was an apt summary, despite a structure of finite proportions.


2)Towering over a dense, miniscule village like a skyscraper, was a rickety, lifeless cottage. Rigidly, the cracking roof tiles were piled onto a musky, brown roof, moreover, the door was swinging clumsily on its creaking hinges. Plodding, a sulky dormouse was yearning for an indulging piece of cheese, however, inside the worn-out house, the mouldy food in the dirty-white fridge didn't look as appetizing to the dormouse as it did to the pesky little rats.
Huffing and puffing, the leaning chimney was spitting out fluffy smoke like a baby throwing out its dummy in disgust. Winding up the peeling wall was a boney vine with lime green leaves on it.

7 comments:

Aliya said...

Wow... I'm so impressed mA. I think you have a new generation of authors blossoming in your family!!

The Namesake said...

Amazing! You have brought the images to life! Such vivid descriptions- "Like a baby throwing out its dummy" I love the simile! Now I know writing runs in the family...Splendid, simply splendid! I wonder if many readers know what 'dummy' is :)
I do :)

Nilofer said...

I can see that sulky dormouse and those circling bats.

Well done, Guest Bloggers!!

Salaeha said...

Wonderfully, descriptive pieces. I want to read more about the adventures of the dormouse in the lifeless cottage. Kudos to the writers!

Kiera said...

Just wishing I could command half the descriptive vocab! Clear and startling images, young writers. Keep at it!

Anonymous said...

I must say that I love BOTH pieces of writing and there could be a generation of authors running in the family!

Blog Bully said...

Word around town, that you have abandoned, is that you are having adventures which, shall we say, can be characterized as "blogger's gold". Please Aunty G. March has come in like a lion & no new posts. Let's have Blog Bully leaving March as a lamb. Hint Hint Hint.