I recently learned that on the Day of Judgment the Prophet Muhammad Peace Be Upon Him is to be found one of three places. One of these is at the place where the actual reckoning will occur- the weighing of the good and bad deeds, in case there is a need for intercession. The following is a reflection on that.
Wait for Me
Wait
for me, Beloved Rasul
You
are my teacher,my preacher,
Lifelong
spiritual guide
Wait
for me at the final weighing station.
Hear
my pitiful cries.
You
turned down a gilded, brocaded lifestyle
Preferring
hardship over ease.
So
how can I ignore the poor and needy
Daring
to call myself one of your devotees?
Your
hadiths calm my wretched heart
Your
seerah shimmers and glistens like gold
The
stories of your bravery and adhab
Constantly
comfort and console.
Yet
these stories cannot stay academic.
Or
static and stagnant in my soul
Your
humility I admire
But
your life must inspire.
Set
me on fire.
And
emulating you becomes the goal.
So,
wait for me,
For
there is work to be done.
The
battered wife nurses crimson bruises,
Broken,alone
and afraid.
The
homeless man huddles under a doorway
Dejected,
rejected and betrayed.
I
toss out pennies and sympathy
Interrupting
my busy, important life
When
I should internalize your glorious example
Become
compassion personified.
How
long will the mendicant wait
For
shoes or soup or good will
How
much time does the injured wife have
Till
bones are crushed again or finally heal
You
said:
"Paradise lies at the feet of the mother."
"Even
a smile is charity don't you know"?
"Love
thy neighbor, Forgive thy brother"
"Save
yourself from the hell-fire with half a date"
If
that is all that you own.
These
are the words you taught me.
Your
trials and struggles haunt me,
Taif,
Uhud and Badr,
The
very words make me shiver
With
awe and appreciation
At
you, the Best of Creation,
You
were orphaned, tried, tormented,
Tested
throughout your arduous existence
Yet
unless I can make you proud,
Live
up to a tiny fraction of your shining exemplification..
Why
oh why
should
you... wait for me?
1 comment:
Beautiful! Inspiring!
Post a Comment