Aunt Acid Ramadan Reflux Rant ( Noun, proper)
This is a discussion undertaken by long suffering female converts or daring Arab women in their forties gathered at an iftar party hosted by South Asians. The conversation typically consists of hushed whispers about greasy biriani, spicy haleem or samosas-as well as over-sweetened pink beverages. This is an ethnically-specific tirade, not generally undertaken by Indians or Pakistani Muslimahs themselves as they would:
a) be too terrified to engage in what would appear to be a criticism of the hostess ( and therefore of Allah's manifold bounties )
b) they would be enjoying the fiery, fat-laden cuisine too much anyway.
Common usage:
This is a discussion undertaken by long suffering female converts or daring Arab women in their forties gathered at an iftar party hosted by South Asians. The conversation typically consists of hushed whispers about greasy biriani, spicy haleem or samosas-as well as over-sweetened pink beverages. This is an ethnically-specific tirade, not generally undertaken by Indians or Pakistani Muslimahs themselves as they would:
a) be too terrified to engage in what would appear to be a criticism of the hostess ( and therefore of Allah's manifold bounties )
b) they would be enjoying the fiery, fat-laden cuisine too much anyway.
Common usage:
Samantha: I thought it would be safe to eat the fruit salad but found that even that had spices in it. I began to feel nauseous and bloated but I got over it by going outside and getting some air. I ended up standing around with the smoking uncles on the third floor apartment balcony and felt pleasantly refreshed.
Khowla: Habibti, I know- too much peppers, it's always the same at Rukhsana's iftars.
Samantha: I feel a strong Aunt Acid Ramadan Reflux rant coming over me all of a sudden.
Khowla: Yanni, why can't they just serve a plain and wholesome sheep's head like us Jordanians?
1 comment:
I'll take fiery and fat-laden over sheep's head any day!
Post a Comment