Sabreena had a lot of pet peeves that had accumulated from years in the Muslim community. One of them was being annoyed by those who asked her how she knew certain people, how they could possibly be in her circle of friends.
Sabreena tried not to take it too personally but she knew deep down that it was actually a very impertinent and inane question.
"The offenders usually ask you that only if you happen to know someone wealthy or popular or otherwise prestigious" she complained to her best friend and trusty sounding board, Asima.
"Well, Sabreena, they are clearly wondering how on earth losers like us can know such a desirable personage" offered Asima helpfully who too had been bruised by such etiquette-related gaffes.
"OK that's fine. Happy to be considered a loser" returned Sabreena smiling.
"But it's the stupidity of the question.This is Houston. It's an incestuous town. Especially if you're from Hyderabad. There is only one university there and only a handful of good schools.
Everyone knows everyone else. Went to school with them in Moghulpura. Or knew their maternal uncle's chauffuer's neighbor. And anyway, is that where we are as a community? Still on the level of provincial small town petty gossip. Like cackling maiden aunts from a Jane Austen novel?
Asima wondered if Sabreena had to mention that particular author every time they got together.
"I have an idea" she suggested. "Let's brainstorm some pithy responses to the question:
"You went to Aqil Bhai's son's wedding. How do you know him?"
Sabreena scratched her head and offered the following as a starter:
"I have good social skills?
"I have good social skills?
"How about this.." returned Asima
"Actually I don't know them. I just gate crashed the wedding. Didn't feel like cooking tonight"
Sabreena giggled, partially appeased.
"No, Asima, I think I got something better"
"Don't you remember? YOU introduced me to them. Before that, I didn't know them at all, loner that I am.
"Actually I don't know them. I just gate crashed the wedding. Didn't feel like cooking tonight"
Sabreena giggled, partially appeased.
"No, Asima, I think I got something better"
"Don't you remember? YOU introduced me to them. Before that, I didn't know them at all, loner that I am.
"You see" continued Sabreena. " They will BRISTLE with mis-placed pride."
1 comment:
I'm going to have to try out that Desi Wedding Crasher line. I'll be the Owen Wilson of the Desi community.
Post a Comment