Entry 39: "To stalkingly know someone"
Typical usage:
Jameela Hey, Salma, do you know Sister Patricia?
Salma Well I think I stalkingly know her.
Jameela (edging closer to the door) You really need to get out more.
Salma Oh you know what I mean. I pray all the time behind her at Jumuah. She also goes to my tajweed class and I notice her because she's the only tall white lady in a sea of jilbabed Jordanians. But she still has no idea who I am because to her I'm yet one more brown blob.
Jameela (loosening her grip on the door handle). Oh I see.
Salma Until I open my mouth of course. Then somehow, people always remember me after that.
Jameela Your Southern accent?
Salma: Let's go with that.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Entry 40: The "Where's Waldo Muslim":
Typical usage:
"Khurram, do you know Salman Ali? He's a Muslim author?"
"Yes of course. He's a Where's Waldo Muslim. He's the only artist in the community so he speaks for all Muslim artists everywhere.
Typical usage:
Jameela Hey, Salma, do you know Sister Patricia?
Salma Well I think I stalkingly know her.
Jameela (edging closer to the door) You really need to get out more.
Salma Oh you know what I mean. I pray all the time behind her at Jumuah. She also goes to my tajweed class and I notice her because she's the only tall white lady in a sea of jilbabed Jordanians. But she still has no idea who I am because to her I'm yet one more brown blob.
Jameela (loosening her grip on the door handle). Oh I see.
Salma Until I open my mouth of course. Then somehow, people always remember me after that.
Jameela Your Southern accent?
Salma: Let's go with that.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Entry 40: The "Where's Waldo Muslim":
Typical usage:
"Khurram, do you know Salman Ali? He's a Muslim author?"
"Yes of course. He's a Where's Waldo Muslim. He's the only artist in the community so he speaks for all Muslim artists everywhere.
1 comment:
I thought it was "Vere's Vaji?" Muslim. Perhaps you can add a post script.
AND you need a word for the "sudden disinhibition of memory when the height challenged person starts talking in her animated style".
Post a Comment