Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Monitoring Our Progress

Two female worshippers are preparing for Friday prayers in the ladies' section

Rukhsana: Wow. This is a great spot. I can see the monitor really well from here. Can you believe the size of  the chandelier downstairs in the main prayer area.

Khalida: Impressive. Would you mind moving down a bit though otherwise I will be making sajdah on top of that teenager.

Rukhsana: Oh sorry. Wow- that mimbar looks so ornate too. Makes me glad I donated whatever I could last year.

Khalida: I wish that child would stop climbing over me every few minutes. Why can't she sit down?

Rukhsana: Well it's a good idea to expose children to the masjid at an early age.

Khalida: Yes but why must they ALL be with their mothers?

Rukhsana: Well anyway I heard that our mosque is up for a few architectural design awards.

Khalida: It occurs to me that in this country, we are building men's sections not masjids.

Rukhshana: You're so over-critical. Would you mind putting my handbag over there- no there, between the mop and the bucket. Thanks so much.

5 comments:

Nilofer said...

This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but with a whimper.

The Namesake said...

Humor is the ONLY way to deal with it :)

bah!Relief said...

No, excuse me but humor is not the only way to deal with it - though it certainly helps! I will not give one penny to any masjid that does not provide equal access to prayer space for men and women. I am not one who would like to see the men and women all mixed together in the same area. I would like to see the main prayer halls divided into two sides, with an aisle down the middle - men on one side and women on the other. Overflow spaces - balconies, basements, etc. would be set up the same way. Not men in front in women in back, two sides beside each other with both directly behind the mimbar. I guess this means I will not be supporting any mosque that is currently in existence. Maybe I'll have to build my own some day. Attitudes toward women will not change until women simply no longer accept them - history tells us that.

Aunty G said...

I suppose my constant frustration is that what has now become the norm is NOT the Sunnah at all. Yet both men and women defend it as though it were.

Dr. Masjid Director Sahib M.D. said...

We have a women's section?