Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Mariam Vebster's Dictionary Entry Number 133

Grammar-guilt:

This is a literary description- usually of injustice, torture and organized bigotry against a minority group. Such a narration ought to make the reader feel sympathetic. However, the reader is more horrified by the grammar and style of writing.

Razia: After finishing that book for our monthly book club, I feel terrible about the Shazar sect in Kazakhstan. Decades of suffering, all their lands taken away from them. They have practically been wiped out. 

Hakim: I know. I ought to be up in arms. But the writer consistently misused the definite article. I know I should ignore it because it's beginning to give me a heavy dose of grammar-guilt.

2 comments:

The Namesake said...

LOL!LOL! LOL! Looking forward to better reading material.....Marilynne Robinson perchance...

JLW said...

I've heard of "grammar police," but grammar guilt? I think you just one-upped the proverbial Catholic nuns!